By far, one of the most popular and effective exercises for improving your guitar playing are chromatic guitar exercises. They will really help improve your guitar playing dramatically on so many different levels. Chromatic exercises aren’t very exciting, but the time and energy you invest into practicing these exercises will pay off enormously in the long run.
The advantages of learning these exercises, are as follows:
- They build up strength in your fingers and hands
- They familiarize you with entire fretboard of the guitar
- They build speed
- They build dexterity
- They help form calluses on your fingertips (calluses are a good thing!)
- They help build right and left hand coordination
- They help you become more skilled at picking
Well those are the benefits. Now lets take a look at the actual exercises. Below are links to 10 different Chromatic Guitar Exercises from YouTube. These are all from the same channel that goes by the name SpyTunes. I only provided you with 10 exercises here, but there are many more, so head on over to the YouTube channel from the link above for more free exercises. What I love most about these particular lessons is the way he changes up the rhythm of these exercises. What is normally a rather mundane routine actually becomes rather enjoyable. Watch the videos below to see more! Practice, Practice, Practice….